I presented my talk, "Do it in code!", on creating custom plugins for site structure at WordCamp Vancouver on Saturday, August 27, 2016. Here are the slides, and all the resources and links I mentioned in the presentation. I also blogged about my thoughts after the presentation on my personal website.
Presentation Slides: Do it in code! A guide to creating a custom site structure plugin in WordPress.
Links and resources
Sample Plugin - the code I demonstrated during the talk.
GUI-based structure plugins
- Advanced Custom Fields
- Version 5 auto-saves configuration to local JSON
- Register fields via PHP
- Using WordPress Advanced Custom Fields Exports - from 2012, may be somewhat outdated, applies to older versions, covers PHP and XML export
- Distributing ACF in a plugin / theme
- Pods framework
- Migrate: Packages (FAQ)
- Pods Deploy - GitHub
- Best Practices For Pods Deployment (blog post)
- Embedded Toolset documentation
- Toolset Packager Actions and Filters documentation
- Meta Box
- WP-CLI: scaffold command documentation
- CMB2: THE METABOX STRIKES BACK - presentation by Justin Sternberg, author of CMB2
- Plugin comparison - Custom Post Types / Fields
(Google spreadsheet) goo.gl/o7kU9s
- Custom Post Type Permalinks - plugin to manage the URL structure of your custom post types